3 Things You Should Know about Home Health Care and Medicare
A lot of healthcare treatments that once were just performed in the hospital or a doctor’s office can now be performed at your own home through home health care. American Health Services provides home health services in Broadway Seattle Washington. Medicare can help pay for you to get certain healthcare services at your home if you meet the requirements. Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities, and people with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD). Medicare covers two things: A) Hospital insurance and B) Medical Insurance. Home health services falls under part B – medical insurance. But to fully understand how Medicare works with home health care, we have provided you with three points you should take note of.
If you have Medicare, your home health benefits can be used if you meet the following conditions set by Medicare:
1. Must be under the care of a doctor and must be getting services under a care plan that is reviewed regularly by the doctor
2. Doctor’s certifies the need for any of the following:
- Intermittent skilled nursing care
- Physical therapy
- Speech-language pathology services
- Continued occupational therapy
3. Home health agency must be Medicare-certified
4. Must be certified by the doctor you are homebound
If you meet the requirement above, Medicare pays for your covered home health services. Amount of service needed should be fewer than 7 days each week or less than 8 hours each day over a period of 21 days (or less) with some exceptions in special circumstances.
What is covered?
Medicare covers the following services if reasonable and deemed necessary:
- Skilled nursing care – Skilled nursing services are covered when they are part time only. It must not be full time nursing care and ordered by the doctor. Our home health services in Broadway Seattle Washington provide skilled nursing care by registered nurses (RN) and licensed practical nurses (LPN).
- Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology services – Therapy must be performed by qualified therapists and duration must be reasonable.
- Medical social services – Must be ordered by the doctor.
- Medical supplies – Covered when ordered as part of care plan.
What isn’t covered?
Medicare does not pay for the following services:
- 24 hours care
- Delivered meals
- Homemaker service
- Personal care service
But if you are looking for affordable yet quality home health services in Broadway Seattle Washington, American Health Services Inc. can provide you with these services with a reasonable price. We have very reasonable terms for each service.